dotConnect for Oracle Overview
dotConnect for Oracle, formerly known as OraDirect .NET, is an enhanced ORM enabled data provider for Oracle that builds on ADO.NET technology to present a complete solution for developing Oracle-based database applications. It introduces new approaches for designing application architecture, boosts productivity, and facilitates the development of database applications.
Fast and Advanced ADO.NET Provider
dotConnect for Oracle offers both high performance native connectivity to the Oracle database and a number of innovative development tools and technologies. It supports a wide range of Oracle-specific features, such as Advanced Queuing, Alerts, Pipes,Direct Path Loading, Change notifications, Transparent Application Failover, REF cursors, objects, packages, and others.
dotConnect for Oracle provides a vast number of GUI tools that increase your productivity. It integrates into Visual Studio Server Explorer and other tools, and provides advanced visual component editors to simplify component tweaking. DataSet tools, such as DataSet Wizard, DataSet Editor, DataSet Manager, provide you an easy way to create and edit typed and untyped DataSets.
dotConnect for Oracle offers enhanced ORM support with a bundled visual designer for ORM models - Entity Developer. dotConnect for Oracle supports ADO.NET Entity Framework, NHibernate, andLinqConnect (formerly known as LINQ to Oracle) - our own ORM solution, closely compatible to Microsoft LINQ to SQL, while extending its functionality with its own features.
Allows your application to work with Oracle directly via TCP/IP without involving Oracle Client.
Implements Role, Session State, Membership, Profile, Site Map, and other ASP 2.0 providers.
Can be used in conjunction withMicrosoft Enterprise Library Data Access Application Block.
Enables Integration Services to export and import data to/from Oracle servers.
Allows per-component tracing of database events with a freedbMonitor application.
New features in dotConnect for Oracle 8.5
The current build is 8.5.543 from 26-Nov-2015
- Visual Studio 2015 is supported
- The type of the "details" and "sessionitems" columns of the "aspnet_webevent_events" and "aspnet_sessions" tables respectively is changed from LONG to CLOB in the InstallWebTables.sql file
- The largest possible value of DirectUtils.PacketSize is increased to 32768
- The possibility to create an unsafe pointer to an OracleIntervalDS structure is added
- The possibility to use .IsRowVersion() method for properties with non-binary data types when using the fluent mapping approach is added
- The Parent property is added to the IInheritanceConfiguration interface
- The support for materialized views is implemented
- The Use ObservableCollection property of the DbContext template is implemented (Entity Framework models)
- The behaviour is changed: now the 1:1 and 1:0..1 associations are displayed differently on the diagram (LinqConnect models)
- The overloads for Contains and Matches methods are added to the OracleTextFunctions class for using full-text search with the binary columns
- The config.QueryOptions.TrueValueNumber configuration option is added to specify SQL generation for True values (either equal to 1 or not equal to 0)